Child & Adolescent Counselling
Bring your child or adolescent to discuss and explore any area of your child’s life with a counsellor over weekly sessions of 60 mins each. The number of sessions depends on the area your child addresses and his/her goals.
What is child & adolescent counselling?
Is your child struggling in school? Feeling stressed out? Facing difficulties with friends? Causing tension at home? Unsure of what to do after high school? A trained child & adolescent counsellor helps children by providing individual counseling in the following domains:
- Personal/Social development
- Academic development
- Career development
The primary goal of child & adolescent counselling is to reduce barriers to your child’s academic performance. Barriers to academic success come in many shapes and sizes. Whether it is reducing anxiety, working on study skills, developing healthy friendships, facing problems in the home, setting goals or addressing bulling (to name a few), counselling provides a safe and confidential environment for your child to speak with a caring, professional counsellor who can support his or her development.
How can a child & adolescent counsellor help my child?
Through one-on-one counselling, children have the opportunity to explore their feelings, aspirations, and personal development in the following areas:
Personal & Social:
Children will develop strong foundations for personal and social growth.
- Stress management
- Acquire self-knowledge (values, attitudes, beliefs)
- Increase self-awareness
- Develop interpersonal skills
- Learn how to make and keep friends
- Communication skills (with parents, adults, peers)
- Coping with peer pressure
Children will learn to implement strategies and activities to support and maximize their ability to learn.
- Goal setting
- Improve academic self-concept
- Acquire study skills for improved learning
- Motivation techniques to achieve individual potential
- Learn to balance studies, extra-curricular activities, leisure, family, etc.
Children will develop skills, attitudes, and knowledge that enable them to make a successful transition from school to the world or work, and from job to job across the lifespan.
- Develop career awareness
- Employment-readiness skills (resume, interview skills, etc)
- Acquire career information
- Identify career goals
- Better understand personal interests and abilities
Similar to adult counselling, child & adolescent counselling allows your child to feel heard, understood, and accepted in a safe, non-threatening, objective, and confidential environment.